Sunday, May 1, 2011

Sunday Stills: Rust

First, I should say something about the obvious lack of recent posts.

We've only received a half inch of rain in the past ten months and are under the highest level of drought. Our well went dry at the beginning of Spring and we are currently surrounded by smoke and wildfires burning up hundreds of thousands of acres in west Texas, some as close as an hour away. Hauling water for our farm and planning for the possible evacuation of ourselves and 67 animals has become more than a full time job.

Rust--we have plenty of it. On a farm it's always working, even while we sleep. I've learned to appreciate it's artistic efforts and use it to justify my tetanus shot. I've tried to pick some of the more interesting cases for this photography challenge. I can imagine myself making a series of abstract quilts based on these images. Which one do you like best?



 



For more images of rust, visit Sunday Stills.

18 comments:

Regular Guy said...

Like that second one, very simple.

Anonymous said...

Lots of interesting rust shots. Glad to see you back on Sunday Stills, we missed you. :)

Shirley said...

I like the one with the choleus plant.
I hope the fires stay away from your place!

MTWaggin said...

The photo of the tools is cool and I love your comment about justifying your teatnus shot. Stay safe and I can't imagine hauling water for you and all those critters.

Devin Greaney said...

#2 and #5 jump out at me. And we have a surplus of water over Memphis way.. never seen the rivers this high!! Be safe out there, Flower!!

Wander Woman said...

Nice shots! Very creative!

Ebie said...

Quite a bundle of rust! LOL! You know, we have to travel far (esp RTE 66 in CA) to abandoned towns to find some urban ruins.

Sorry to hear about your drought, but very ironic that your city when translated is Cold Water.

Take care!

Patches said...

Very nice! I really like the second one also.

Ed said...

All are great shots but I like the first one best, great composition and detail..:-)

Jill said...

Stay safe! I bet it is very scary to have to even think about evacuating. Your rust pictures are fantastic!

NitWit1 said...

My relatives all over Texas have mentioned the drought. A 3000 acre fire near an old army armory in my hometown burned for days. The town's hospital, two nursing homes and an assisted living facility were near the danger zone.

I like the tools photo.

Michelle said...

Great shots! Hope the fires stay away and you all stay safe.

Linda said...

Rust and dust......they'll always been there. I still love how the green of summer goes with the color of rust though.

Shannon Elisabeth said...

The first one is beautiful

Brenda said...

I can't even imagine a 1/2" of rain in 10 months. I can't even imagine the dryness. I hope you have gotten some of the rains that have come across TX recently. Your shots are awesome! I have missed your pics!

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Nicely done. I like the 1st and 5th photos the best.

I hope the fires stay away. We're in a drought with extreme Fire Danger here, too.

Stay safe,
~Lisa

Jen said...

Very pretty...

Elizabeth said...

I really like #2. The textures, the contrast between the straight lines and the tangle of wire. You could do this in a quilt with couched threads embroidered on, perhaps.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin