Wednesday, June 24, 2009

A Call for Bathroom Renovation Ideas

Welcome to our "good" bathroom. It's old and small but has enough charm with which to work. I'm thinking you (homesteaders, artists, photographers, shepherds, poultry enthusiasts, and general blog friends) might have some good ideas to share with me, once I introduce you to the project.

Let's talk positives first. The vintage tub is nice enough (see previous post) and would be difficult to replace so it stays. I like this antique mirror in there, but it may need to be repositioned.

I also like these artisan plate covers I got on a trip to Arizona. Maybe it's the botanist in me.


Last year I purchased enough of this saltillo-like tile to do the floors and the walls. But since peeling off the vinyl wallpaper, I discovered a fake tile board wainscoting and painted it white. Now I'm kind of liking the half white look and thinking a smaller white tile for the wall wainscoting, and this tile only on the floor.

In general, I like Southwest style, as well as Mediterranean, Middle Eastern, and Mid Century Modern. My entire house is sort of artsy-eclectic. I wanted to replace the 1940's chrome fixtures with wrought iron, but I didn't want them to feel bulky or too primitive. So I just purchased these Tuscan Villa fixtures on sale. I like the curves.

Now, for some of the challenges. When this house was built it only had a bathtub, the shower feature was later added. I am not crazy about the surrounding shower curtains, it's sort of smothering. Even though I replaced the heavy ones with lightweight ones, I keep having to glue the fixture to the ceiling with liquid nails and it's about ready to fall again.

I would like to change all this out for bronze, if such a thing exists. Right now the shower curtains are white, for a simple spa-like look, but that's open for change. I like the tan walls, but I'm open for change in color, artwork, faux finishes, a mural, etc. I'm not too keen on wallpaper.

I'd prefer one of those single rods that curve out. But then, I'd have to tile the entire shower enclosure. Privacy isn't a huge issue here and I don't want glass block in the window. Since there is no ventilation in the room, the operable windows are used and I worry their hardware would rust. I suppose I could sew smaller window curtains out of shower curtain fabric to deflect water.

I know large mirrors are supposed to add visual space to a small room, but this takes up most of the wall...

as does the vanity. It feels cramped, like there is no breathing room. I would like something much narrower.

Worst of all, because of the curvature on the tub and having the vanity so close, a very icky black hole of a space is created that's nearly impossible to clean. If something is missing, it has probably fallen down in there. Also, I don't like having the t.p. dispenser on the door.

And finally there's the damaged door. The bottom was recently pecked away by chickens and the top scratched by dogs. I have rebuilt this door before using DAP to where it almost looked perfect, but I'm kind of tired of doing this and it's very time consuming. I wonder how other people make their doors pet-proof without losing style? Or should I just call Cesar? These same doors are throughout the house.

Would you keep the surround shower curtains and just tile the wainscoting?
Or would you get one shower rod and tile the entire shower enclosure?
If so, how would you protect the window hardware from moisture?
White or patterned shower curtains?
What kind of vanity/lavatory would you get?
What kind of mirror?
What would you do with the walls? A new color, faux finish, mural, artwork?
Other suggestions?

4 comments:

Dana and Daisy said...

one question, is a shower absolutely necessary? is this the main bath, that you and hubby use to shower daily? How often is it used by guests or is it mainly a second potty in the house?

okay that was 3 questions, all leading to the same idea though.

flowerweaver said...

Yes, it is the main bath closest to our bedroom and living room, we use both the shower and tub, and day guests use it for the potty.

The second bath is inside a room that mostly serves as storage, guest bedroom, studio.

It is bigger, 1970's-ish, but there is absolutely nothing commendable about it, and I plan to tear it out (even the walls) and start over when this bathroom is finished. Ultimately that bathroom could become the spacious dream bathroom with both a tub and shower. But that will be a much bigger project for later.

Nola said...

It's gonna be lengthy...
Would you keep the surround shower curtains and just tile the wainscoting?
Or would you get one shower rod and tile the entire shower enclosure? I can live without a shower, so I just wouldn't have one, but I know some people have to have it, so in that case, I'd tile the entire area, but still have a clear vinyl curtain for moisture protection for the window area.

What kind of vanity/lavatory would you get? One that fits the period of the tub; you can find those at reclamation salvage yards.

What kind of mirror? Simple, but large and keeping with the period of the tub.

What would you do with the walls? Beadboard wainscotting half the way up the wall.

A new color, faux finish, mural, artwork? A new color, simple yet cheery.

Other suggestions? Oh, I forgot, about the window... Buy the plastic stuff at Home Depot (I think it's called windowscapes, or something) that works like those holiday clings. You cut to size, wet it and stick it on the glass and squeegie it out. Maybe only put it half the way up the window if you still want a view. It comes in frosted, and several other patterns. It stays on well but is easily removed and inexpensive.

I love the 1940's feel of the tub and I'd decorate around that. I don't know WHAT you'd do with the "black hole"!

If you have time, HGTV Rate My Space might have some good ideas.

Nola said...

I'm sooooo sorry that was so lengthy. I looked that film up, it's called artscapes, available at Home Depot. The web address is: http://www.artscape-inc.com/index.php

Blog Widget by LinkWithin