Sunday, March 28, 2010

Sunday Stills: A Day in the Life...

This week our host Ed has asked us to choose just four images from a typical day in our lives. Once every 3 weeks I must make the trek into the big city for everything we might need (and then some).


I am one of those people who has an SUV because I need it. Just to get out of my place I have to drive through the river which (at least in years not following a severe drought) usually flows across the low water crossing about 4 inches deep. I cross my river again (on a bridge), and then another river six times (the highway department is replacing those one car wide crossings with two lane bridges now). I can pack every inch, and my kayak racks allow me to tie larger stuff on top. I love my car.

Going to town often means more than a dozen stops, but Friday I only squeezed in eleven. Texaco (gasoline, coffee, giving directions to a visitor), cafe (veggie sandwich for lunch), thrift store (work shirts for both of us), birding store (oriole feeder), ranch store (chicken feed, scratch, hay, and bedding), garden center (potting soil, strawberry plants and petunias), book store (art magazines), beverage store (vodka, spicy bloody mary mix sans anchovies), pet store (dog food, cat toys), pharmacy, and grocery store. All the frozen and cold food is bagged in freezer bags to keep them from spoiling on the long drive home.


If I had only been more expedient, there might have been hardware or lumber tied on top and my toenails might have been sporting a spring color (to hide the gardening dirt). I took this at my last stop, as I would not be getting home until well after dark.


The road is long and winding through the hills, much of it directly into the Western sun. The radio is too fuzzy to listen to anything and there is no cell phone service. I might not pass another vehicle in over an hour. The windshield is splattered with unfortunate insects, and pocked by rocks.


The sun goes down and I'm still driving. At home we pop a frozen pizza in the oven and Farmer Rick helps me unload. I am exhausted, but at least I don't have to do it again for a while!

For more days of other lives, visit Sunday Stills!

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great post about your day. Where do you go when you "go to town"? We have to drive a bit as well, but not as far as you I'm sure.

allhorsestuff said...

Yes...that was a productive day! I loved how you really "packed it in" the back end of your SUV.
That driving shot is amazing too!
KK

Fantastyk Voyager said...

How do you manage to go only every three weeks? I gotta stock up every week or two at the most.

Fantastyk Voyager said...

And I meant to say that I loved your last shot of the tree and sunset. It looks like a dandelion- it's so rounded!

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Whew! But thank goodness you don't have to do that trip more than every 3 weeks.

I rarely ever go to Albuquerque, maybe once every other month, but I do drive into our small town just east of us, Edgewood about once a week.

Like you, I love a useful car. Looks are nice, but the car needs to do all the things I want to do first and foremost. Lots of room is paramount.

So, I didn't know that Bloody Mary Mix included anchovies. ewww!

~Lisa

ps Let me know if you're still interested in our sheep, ok? How's Rick doing?

colleen said...

I don't need an suv but I do want one....

Callie Brady said...

That is a lot of driving! Sounds like a modern day trip that people used to make once a month when they hitched up the wagon and went to town for a day or two.

Far Side of Fifty said...

I hate going to town and it is only fourteen miles away. We need 4x4 here..or you could get stranded in the winter. Sound like you live off the beaten path. Thanks for sharing your day:)

Anonymous said...

Nice shots and story. Wow, looks like you need a bigger SUV. Like the sun going down and the tree outline.

Ed said...

Cool post! Sounds like you could use XM satelite radio, I could'nt live without it in my truck..:-)

Anonymous said...

the photo out of the windows are great, can really feel the movement as you drive along

Shirley said...

You sure are organized! We have a Sirius satellite radio; I love it- no advertising!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin