Wednesday, December 23, 2009


It's been over two weeks now since Avo's untimely death and I have been distracted by handymen replacing our crumbling and clogged 80 year old pipes. I decided to buck up this afternoon and go out to the sheep pen and visit Finley.

He was very stiff in stance and looked older, less innocent. A small trickle of blood was coming down one of his horns which appeared to have a small puncture wound, like maybe he butted his head against a nail...or perhaps it was part of the unfortunate scenario. (Later Rick and I flushed it out. He had noticed it, but badly needing new glasses, thought it was just a glump of dirt).

I went to the shed and began picking up feathers, making a little bouquet in my hand, tears streaming down my face. As it started to come together and look like a familiar chicken Finley came over. I held it out to him and he sniffed it. Then he lowered his head and used his hoof to make the 'I want' sign and I started weeping.

I want him back, too, Finley.

So whatever happened involving the sheep that ended the life we knew as Avo it was very clear Finley was missing him, too.


Laughing Orca Ranch said...

So sad.....

Are you going to create a little basket of Avo's special feathers to display?


dibear said...

Lordy sweetie you brought tears to my eyes once again. This is so sad.
Lisa has a great idea...maybe put some in a display memory box you can frame.
HUGS, and Merry Christmas

Callie said...

Merry Christmas to you and yours! I hope this Christmas will bring you peace and love.

thecrazysheeplady said...


Dana and Daisy said...

a couple of years after my little schnauzer, Billie, died, I found a sack with her grooming supplies in them, and some hair still in her brush. I took it to Daisy and she smelled and smelled and then started rubbing her chin on it, and started rolling over on the brush. So sad!

I have compassion for you and your loss.

Ed said...

Total bummer, once again..:-(
I hope things get better with time. I'll follow Lisa's hug with one of my own..:-)

Callie said...

Happy New Year!

dibear said...

Happy New Year. We are missing you Sage.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin