Thursday, May 27, 2010

How to Afford Your Hobbies

Like I needed one more, right? My friends were amazed when I announced I was becoming a beekeeper.

What, too bored with the garden? Not enough pets?

At a recent Beekeeper's Field Day, I learned how to make liquid soap using honey, oils, and lye. I decided I wanted to try this at home. Yes, a spin-off hobby already!

So needed to purchase a crock pot dedicated to soap making. While in the city yesterday, I was able to find a large one with two heat settings--exactly what I needed--at my favorite resale shop for just $4.


For decades I have been shopping at thrift stores. For one, I despise shopping malls, and most thrift stores support good causes--humane societies, battered women's shelters, schools for at-risk kids, AIDS hospices, etc.


I also have expensive tastes but relatively little to spend.


Even if I did, I would still shop this way because I like the treasure-hunt adventure of it. I can be frugal and stylish at the same time.




So yesterday, I scored on a summer wardrobe. Skirt, pants, two silk blouses, long-sleeved linen shirt, long and short dresses.


$12. Total. (About the same amount I just spent on an additional bee hive tool).

That's right. Pick yourself up off the floor. Twelve dollars! Throw in a $3 shirt (splurge!) for Farmer Rick (not pictured; he loved it so much he wore it to work today), and the aforementioned crock pot, I still had enough change left over from a $20 for a celebratory soda for the road home.

Now I don't feel so bad about what I do spend on beehives, garden seeds, books, and art supplies!

8 comments:

Jen said...

Nice... way to go on that summer wardrobe. I love shoppin that thrift stores too. Good Luck with your bee hobby, pretty cool!

Dana and Daisy said...

Oh I love this!! Okay I want some soap when it is ready! how much?

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Ooooh! Way to go. I rarely ever have the same luck as I'm not petite and I'm also very tall. Nothing ever seems to be in my size. And the thrift stores that are local, aren't from areas that have expensive taste in clothes either.

I can't wait to read about the honey soap. Sounds sublime!


~Lisa

thecrazysheeplady said...

Good job! You can also felt your wool around some soap... :-)

Jill said...

I am a treasure hunter too! Love it.

Anonymous said...

How does the crock make the soap? Do you melt some ivory soap and add honeycomb?

NitWit1 said...

I must say you really scored on the wardrobe. I donate heavily to such enterprises but do not tend to purchase. I donate rather than have my own sales, most of the time.

The Pink Geranium or Jan's Place said...

You are a woman after my own heart! I am also an avid thrift store shopper.. I just cant get excited at the mall, when the treasures are down at my fav store the "Village" (value village that is).

Love your finds!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin