Sunday, May 16, 2010

Sunday Stills: Wildflowers

We've had plenty of rain this year--in contrast to last year's extreme drought--so the wildflowers have definitely been taking advantage of this!

Frio River with Mealy Blue Sage (click to biggify!)

It's nice to have water again in the river, too. We took our first swim and kayak trip last weekend. Ahhh....

Here are just a few of the many species of wildflowers blooming at our place right now. I've tried to include one of every color!

Blue Gilia

Pearl Milkweed Vine

Prickly Pear

Rosita

Illinois Bundleflower

Mexican Mallow

Prairie Verbena

Indian Blanket

Scarlet Penstemon

Here's a brief video taken in the short grass prairie through all the Englemann's Daisies. You can hear the White Wing Doves calling ('who cooks for you'), and Finley's baaahing at the end. I love it when there's mist on the mountain.


To see all the wildflowers at our place, take the Folia flowerweaver link and scroll down to 'gardens', then click on the Shortgrass Prairie, Wildflower Meadow, and Juniper and Oak Savanna garden listings to see all the wildflower photos.

For more flower/wildflower images from all over the world, visit Sunday Stills!

11 comments:

colleen said...

All are beautiful, I like the milkweed best. simply yet elegant.

Anonymous said...

All are wonderful shots and some very unusual - love the milkweed.

Brenda said...

I love the field of blue sage with the water in the background. Your macros of the other flowers are stunning!

J9 said...

Wow! Great shots and lovely variety!

Anonymous said...

Really nice selection of wildflowers. I love the composition of the sage and the river, that's a great shot. :)

Ed said...

Oh WOW! I am totally jealous! Spring is my favorite time in Texas..:-) Great shots..

NitWit1 said...

I wish I knew my wildflowers like you do. I take pictures of perceived wildflowers and weeds bu can identify very few of them.

Anonymous said...

indian blanket flower is my favourite, it's awesome

Jill said...

Beautiful!!! That Mexican Mallow is an interesting plant!

Regular Guy said...

Very nice variety of flowers, nice pictures too.

Anonymous said...

Wonderful photos, Sage. The river looks very inviting. I'm happy to see that you are posting to your blog, again.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin