Friday, November 21, 2008

Phoebe loses an eye!

This morning when I went out to feed, I had a few treats for Phoebe--the ends of carrots and broccoli left over from last night's dinner. Finley, her son, won't touch them, so that means more for her! While she was searching my hand for another morsel I noticed a trickle of blood running down her face, and then--in horror--I noticed her right eye had ruptured! I won't describe it, but let's say it was not very pretty.

She was blind when we rescued her off the highway two years ago this month, but we thought she had shown some light sensitivity in this eye. This appeared to be her better eye, at least the one that was not entirely cloudy. I have to take her to the vet this afternoon, who is working us in, so that it can be surgically removed under general anesthesia. Poor Phoebe!

From her dreadlocky wool, battered horns, misshapen hoofs from walking in circles, and forever snotty nose she already has some huge challenges. And now this! She is one tough old sheep, that's for sure. What's also certain, is we will love her just as much, if not more. For Avo her rooster, love is truly blind.

Send us healing thoughts!


Early courtship of Avo and Phoebe, before the birth of Finley.

3 comments:

Dana and Daisy said...

oh that is so sad! Will she be completely blind?

we love our animals don't we? They are so much like humans with all their emotions and the way they can suffer, too.

Bless her heart and yours for taking so much car of your animals!

Love, Dana and Daisy

thecrazysheeplady said...

Poor Phoebe. I think she needs a festive eye patch!

Lady Katherine said...

I just love your black sheep! What tender care you give to her.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin