Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Through the Looking Glass

This beauty is Venus' Looking-glass, Triodanis perfoliata, growing wild in my bed of kale. I am fortunate that 95% of my weeds are wildflowers. That way, when I fall behind at the task of weeding, the garden still looks lovely, and the pollinators don't mind a bit.

I haven't seen one in a few years because of the drought. This one took advantage of our drip irrigation. We realized last night (when the mosquitoes were biting, and we could have used it for protection) that we haven't seen any Horsemint in a couple years. It must be, like us, waiting for the rain.

We saw our first backyard firefly of the year last night. In wetter years the lawn is an illuminated carpet of them. Sometimes they get caught between our bedroom window and screen, keeping me awake with their magnified blinking. I wonder what it's like to be a beacon for your potential spouse...and what is the other looking for in that light?

1 comment:

Dana and Daisy said...

that's a smart way to garden, and hey at night in summer, the fireflies go blinky blinky all night at the cabin, which always kind of keeps me up at first, then I just go off to sleep eventually. A sight we rarely see at home. the fireflies, not me sleeping lol.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin